Pages

Friday 25 October 2013

Does it really matter what other people think?

Far too often I sit and wonder what people think about me.

I worry that they are judging my hair, clothes, makeup, how I look in general and how I act. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I get that, but what happens when their opinion is no longer just an opinion? What if its just that person being really rude and being nasty? That's when I start to get annoyed.
    For years and years I worried so much about what people thought and never really was myself. Since starting uni, I've met so many great people who, in the least cliche way possible, have made me into who I am today.
    I have noticed in myself, that I am so much more confident than I was this time twelve months ago. I always told myself that 'Today I would be more confident' or 'I am not going to worry about what they think today' and I never was able to just turn the worrying 'off'. But what I didn't realise, is that over time, I was making that change subconsciously.
   All at once, I was not bothered about speaking in class, which is something that has pretty much bothered me all my life. That doesn't mean that I love public speaking all of a sudden, because I have an individual presentation in two weeks time and I am scared for that, but I can honestly say that It isn't bothering me as much as I thought. That's when I knew that I had grown more confident.Not only have I become confident in myself, I am able to be confident around others - expressing my opinion, giving suggestions and actually contributing to discussions rather than just staying quiet.
    So, this brings me to my question or 'ponder' de jour :


Should we really care what other people think about us? Or should we just get on with our lives and do what the hell we want anyway?

After all, people are going to judge you, whether you do something good or bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment